You gotta love update day, bringing us new and exciting additions to Fortnite Creative. Epic released their weekly patch today and we’re showing you all you need to know from the v8.40 patch notes. Prepare for a new explosive device, buffed infantry rifle with epic and legendary variants, some additions to existing prefabs and bunch of bug fixes and gameplay adjustments. Let’s hop into it!
Destruction and demolition are made easy with The Explosive Device, now in Creative Mode.
Shameless plug: This would have been useful for FortniteCreativeHQ’s recent LTM build, “Valhalla: Fallen” – we figured out how to blow up the floor using other devices though, check it out!
Customize the in-game scoreboard in new ways! Open the “My Island” menu to discover the different possibilities.
Infantry Rifle (Epic and Legendary variants)
The long-expected Epic and Legendary Infantry Rifles have been added to Fortnite in the v8.40 update. They were found in the game files by data miners back in Season 7, and now they arrived.
- When on the Hub, Featured Island portals now appear as doorways to these featured games.
- Simplified the text above the portals to show the Creator’s name and the Island’s name.
- Approaching the portal will cause a description for the game to animate into view.
- Fixed an issue where the player’s character would face the wrong direction when starting a game.
- Fixed an issue where games could be started simultaneously on different islands when initiated by a player in the same server.
- Fixed an issue where players could damage each other after the scoreboard appears.
- Fixed an issue where players who join a match that’s in progress would not see progressive Outfit changes on the Peely Outfit.
- Fixed an issue where some players were unable to aim down sight when playing games.
- Fixed an issue where players would be scored as “Knocked Down” while spawning into a game in progress.
- Fixed an issue where Reboot Cards were incorrectly appearing in Creative games.
WEAPONS + ITEMS
- Infantry Rifle
- Epic and Legendary Infantry Rifle variants
- Deals 42, 44 damage
- Epic and Legendary Infantry Rifle variants
CREATIVE TOOLS + PHONE
- Fixed an issue where a bright blue light would appear while copying and pasting objects with the Phone.
- Fixed an issue where players could not enter Build Mode when the Phone was equipped, while using a controller.
- Known issue: Delete sound effect plays twice when deleting an object.
- Updated Car Gallery A with a Submarine, Arctic Submarine and Helicopter.
- Updated the Jungle Temple Props Gallery with 3 different sized Moai Statues.
- Fixed an issue in the Military Behemoth where external wall vents could appear to be floating.
- Fixed an issue in the Military Behemoth where players could unintentionally drop off some stairways.
- Fixed an issue where Military Gallery B Blue had a couple of building pieces showing up as red.
- Fixed an issue where the collision box was too large around some assets in the Ring Gallery.
- All new Explosive Device
- When damaged during a game, the device will explode and damage objects and players around it
- Limited to 100 Explosive Devices per island
- Modify the following options:
- Player Damage – The amount of damage inflicted on surrounding players (0, 2, 5, 10, 20, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, elimination)
- Structure Damage – The amount of damage inflicted on surrounding structures (0, 5, 25, 50, 100, 500, 1000)
- Damage Indestructible Buildings – Turning on this option will destroy buildings, even if “Building Damage In Game” is “Off”..
- Health – The health of the Explosive Device (1, 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000)
- Blast Radius – How far the explosion will reach from the point of origin (0.25, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3)
- Knockback – How forceful the explosion will be at knocking back players (off, low, medium, high, very high, super high)
- Ignore Team For Damage – Turn on to ignore a specified team when dealing damage (none, 1-16)
- Explode on Proximity Range – Turn on to explode when a player is at a set distance from the device (off, 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
- Ignore Team For Proximity – Turn on to ignore a specified team when entering designated proximity range (none, 1-16)
- Time To Detonation From Game Start – Turn on to start a timer for automatic detonation when a game starts (off, 5 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 2 min, 5 min, 10 min, 30 min, 1 hr)
- Creature Spawner has been updated to visualize the spawn radius around the device.
- Added a “Spawn Through Walls” option to the Creature Spawner.
- Turning this off will prevent creatures from being spawned on the other side of walls.
- Added “Preferred Spawn Location” option to the Creature Spawner with “At Max Distance” or “Random” options.
- “At Max Distance” will spawn creatures at the edge of the Max Spawn Distance.
- “Random” will spawn them at random points within the spawn radius.
- For the following devices, turning “Visualization” off will hide the device immediately upon starting a game, instead of waiting for the game start countdown to finish.
- Damage Volume
- Player Checkpoint Plate
- Player Spawn
- Item Spawner
- Music Sequencer
- Fixed an issue where the Billboard had improper collision when reloading the Island or copying with the creative tool.
- Fixed an issue where the Item Spawner “Time Before Initial Spawn” option was not functioning as intended.
- Fixed an issue with the Shooting Gallery that would prevent players from hitting the bullseye on some targets.
- Fixed an issue with the Shooting Gallery where you couldn’t hit the bullseye until you had started a game.
- Fixed an issue with the Shooting Gallery that prevented sniper rifles from being able to register hits on the bullseye.
- Clarified the units of time (eg. seconds, minutes) for related options on the Target Dummy Track in the Shooting Gallery.
- Fixed an issue where the Target Dummy “Proximity Pop Up Range” setting only triggered at half the expected distance.
- Fixed an issue where the Billboard was causing stretched textures to appear on player’s Islands when playing on mobile devices.
- Fixed an issue where the player character’s head would appear floating over the Cannon when attempting to fly while inside.
- Fixed an issue with the Capture Area device having inconsistent collision around the base.
- Fixed an issue where the Creature Spawner destruction animation would trigger even though visibility was set to “Off”.
UI + SOCIAL + AUDIO
- “UI Settings” can be found in the “My Island” menu. Providing the ability to modify various user interfaces.
- Time – Choose whether the clock counts down or up
- Score Display Time – The amount of time the scoreboard is displayed after a match (Don’t Show, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 seconds)
- Winner Display Time – The amount of time the Winner UI is displayed (Don’t Show, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 seconds)
- HUD Type – Choose the optimal heads-up-display for the type of game you created (Default, Creature Elimination, Score)
- Scoreboard Stat 1-5 – Choose the statistics that are tracked and shown on up to 5 columns on the scoreboard at the end of the match (None, Eliminations, Assists, Knocked Down, Collect Items, Health, Creature Eliminations, Score, Objectives, Time)
- These statistics will serve as a tie-breaker (in sequential order) in the case that there is a tie under the primary rules of the game
- The end of game Scoreboard has received a visual makeover to coincide with the new scoreboard options available for creators.
- Winners are now prompted with new celebration animations, similar to the Victory Screen in Battle Royale.
- You should now be able to see team member names over their heads based on the My Island Options.
- Fixed an issue where placed trap sounds overlap and were very loud when spawning into a game.
- Fixed an issue where vehicle destruction sound effects would play loudly when spawning into a game.
- Fixed an issue where favorite Island codes could not be removed from the Featured Island Code list when using a controller.
- Fixed an issue where the Fly Up prompt shows ‘Unbound’ in the Tooltip when using a controller.
- Fixed an issue where the ammo count wasn’t displaying as infinite on weapons when infinite ammo was enabled.
Are you excited about the new additions? Let us know in the comments!